Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tips and Techniques Wednesday - Gift Card Holder

Hello all!

The tutorial for today is  a gift card holder.  As we are only a couple of months away from Christmas, I thought it would be a good time to start with gift giving ideas.  But, of course these gift card holders a good for any time of the year too.

First, start out with a piece of cardstock measuring 4.25 x 10.5 inches.
 Then score along the short side at 3 inches, 4.25 inches, 5.5 inches and 8.5 inches.
 Next add strong adhesive to the back of the 2 outer edges of the two 1.25 inch areas.
 Adhere together at the score lines.  Notice this creates a flap, this will sit inside the card and hold the actual gift card.
 Now take your gift card (or credit card as they are the same size) and mark with a pencil, the width of the gift card on the top of the flap that you have just created.
 Now you need to cut off a little bit of the flap so that it nestles the gift card inside.  You can use a rectangular die for your Cuttlebug, if yew have one - or - a punch like I did - or simply a craft knife and ruler to cut out a simple rectangle.
 This is what it looks like after a single punch with this scalloped square punch.
 Moving my punch over I cut out the rest of the width I need for the gift card.
 This is what you should end up with.
 See how the gift card sits right inside.
Next, working on the outside edge I adhered patterned paper to the base of my card, this area is actually the back and bottom from of the card..  I trimmed 1/4 inch off the length and width of the card measurement to have the patterned paper sit inside the cardstock edge.
 I repeated this process for the top of the card front too.
 Next I took a 1.5 inch strip of a coordinating paper and wrapped it around the card from top to bottom.  This will hold the card closed and the gift card inside.  I started with a 12 inch strip and just trimmed off the excess.  I overlapped the top and bottom and adhered the two ends together.
 You'll notice I put my seam at the front, I am going to hide it under a decorative element.  Then the card will look clean on all sides.
 I kept my embellishing simple, a punched circle, a flower, a rub on sentiment on another die cut shape and a little brad.
 Slid it back onto the card.
 Here is a side view for you.
 Ta da!  Easy right.


So give it a try.

Thanks for popping by today, I appreciate it!

Laura
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Divine! Where do you find the time to be so wonderfully creative? You are a genius!
    Missed seeing you guys on Saturday!
    xo
    Christa

    ReplyDelete