Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Reverse Masking - Tutorial

Hi there!

Recently, I was chatting with Elaine and she mentioned that she wished this hexagon mask was actually in reverse, so that she could mask the outlines opposed to the actual interior of the mask.

That got me to thinking, and I came up with this technique and thought I would share.


I started out applying paint directly to my mask, for a fine mask like this one you need a fair amount of paint.


Then I flipped it over onto the paint I wanted to mask, you will need to press down carefully on the mat to make sure it is making contact with the paper.

 

This is what it will look like when you remove the mask.


I decided to use this technique recently on a layout that I created.  I painted even more paint onto my mask this time, giving me really good coverage. 



This is the layout that I made.

Using this technique, we can get twice as much use out of each of our masks!  How is that for a really economical way to add to our mask stash!

Thanks for visiting!
Laura
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. This is a very cool idea!! I have the reverse mask or otherwise I would give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great technique. I've been wanting to try masking with paint...what kind of paint do you use? Acrylic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Shelby, typically just an acrylic craft paint. This particular time I used some new chalk paint we just got in at the store. It gives the exact same effect as acrylic paint does, but it is so soft and smooth to the touch once dry.

      Delete
  3. Great tip! I can't wait till I have the time to try this!

    ReplyDelete