Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Stash Busting Tip

Hello!  It's Laura back with you today and oh my goodness what a month this is, so many lasts!  Today I am sharing my last tutorial for ScrapMuch?, can you believe that I have shared over 280 tutorials on a weekly basis here on my blog! Wow, my family was right I do have a lot to say! Ha!

Boy did I struggle bringing you a final tutorial, I thought it should be something so amazing, something to WOW to heck out of you! It took me weeks to come up with something and in the end once I took the pressure off of myself and decided that I really wanted to create a layout, and that I wanted to colour coordinate papers and embellishments, the idea for my tutorial just came to me.

I bet you are just like me with tons of left over little bits and bobs from past purchases.  I bet you would like a fun way to use some of them up.  I bet you might want to buy more goodies, guilt free! LOL.  Let me show you how I busted my stash (At least a little bit!).


Little circles of yumminess!


I had some scraps of this collection by Crate Paper that I also wanted to use up.  I also had this wedding photo printed up and the pastels in this collection were just perfect for this pic. Pastels were big in the 80's, does Miami Vice ring a bell??


I didn't have a full sheet of paper from this collection but I found this one by Amy Tangerine in a light grey that worked well with the other papers, and since I have no other papers from this Amy Tangerine line I was nice to use it up as well!

I cut circles out of a white piece of cardstock with my Silhouette, but you could easily recreate this look without a Silhouette by using a variety of sized punched circles, so don't let the lack of a Silhouette scare you off.

I adhered the cardstock and patterned background together by lining up one of the bottom corners, just to change things up a bit as I do the "framed" look often.


Then I started adhering my scraps of patterned paper between the background layers.


This process is super quick, but you get a lot of impact for your few minutes and scrap papers!


I duplicated each colour so that my layout wouldn't be too busy.


I also tucked in a couple of strips of a striped pattered paper that helps to tie all my colours together.



Then the fun and stash busting part!  I pulled out lots of flowers (which I hardly use so it was nice to do so), stickers (I have a large pile of stickers sheets with just a few on each), buttons (do have a million too), brads (wow something else I don't use often but still have a ton of), and left over chipboard bits.


I layered these elements in and around each circle sticking to the same colour but using a variety of tones of the colour, so my layout wouldn't look so flat.


I must say the peach was the hardest for me as I did not have much, but since our first apartment was decorated in peach and grey I felt nostalgic about using it! Luckily I found a few elements that worked.


Yellow is my happy colour, can you believe we just celebrated our 29th! I can't say it feels like yesterday but it sure as heck doesn't feel like 29 years! Where does the time go.


Oh mint green I am loving you all over again, in fact I was working on adding this colour as an accent to my craft room - but now I am giving up having a dedicated space so the mint is going, too.


I have said this before, but as a mom of all boys, I am all too happy to play with pink whenever it works!


This title was a left over piece that seemed just perfect for my page, too!


I also went in and added some grey elements to tie in my background paper a little more, bust some more stash and because I could! heehee!

As a last step I stitched around my page with a dark grey thread, it just needed a bit of something you know what I mean?


This tutorial may not be earth shattering, but I really had fun with it and I think you will too!  And I love that I have a page that is a little different for me, but also a page that I love!

I also wanted to say, please do not think I am leaving the crafting world and forget to come visit me over at my blog, in the future.  I will still be creating and sharing - just maybe a little differently.

So glad you visited today!

2 comments:

  1. Laura this an AMAZING "use your stash" page - so pretty and LOVE your stitching - super fun. Loving the nostalgia feel to it. I will truly miss your tutorials xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really pretty. I love the way you group the embellishments by color.

    ReplyDelete